Building Structures: Testing Materials

The Grade 3’s worked through a science investigation today about the topic of building materials.

The questions they started out with:

1. What are the properties of plastic, paper, fabric, and aluminum foil?
  2. When would you use each of these materials?

Students proceeded to conduct the following experiment and record their results.

Students: 

1. If you were building a toy bridge, what materials would you use? Explain.
  2. If you were building a pillow which material would you use? Explain.

8 thoughts on “Building Structures: Testing Materials

1. I would use plastic because it won’t sink and it doesn’t break.
    I would use cloth because it is comfy and fluffy. It is soft. It will bend.

2. I would use the plastic to build the toy bridge bcause if you stretch the plastic it wouldn’t break or snap in half. If I was making a pillow, the material I would use would be the fabric. I’d use fabric because all the other optoins were just cold, shiney and hard.

3. If I was building a toy bridge I would use tinfouel and here is my reson why I think that it would hold beter then the paper and beter then the plastick. Tinfouel is stong and it can hold a load so that is why I chows tinfouel. If I was bilding a pillow I would use faubrick because you can cut it open and put stufing inside and then sou it up.

4. if i was building a toy bridge i would use plastic because if it fell it wouldn’t get wet and it’s very strong so it went’t break. if i was building a pillow the material i would use the fabric because it is soft.

5. question 1. If I were to build a toy I would use plastic because if it falls in to the water it won’t be wet and you don’t have to buy more plastic. question 2. If I were to build a pillow i would use fabric because i could stitch it and stuff it with cotin and it will be soft and sleep able.

6. lf i would use the foil becuse it is strongest and it is the most stabel one in the plastic fabric and the papper and if i was make in the briude i will up four staff on the corner and it will staned up if i was makeing a pillow i would use the fabric becuse the fabric is the most soft in all of them and you can just so the side and put fluf in side .