Classroom Economy

20131004-155220.jpg

The classroom economy is underway in room 210. We began by brainstorming jobs that needed to be done in our classroom. We gave them names and agreed upon job descriptions. Next we had to decide what the daily wage would be for each job. Students talked about how hard a job was and how desirable it was in order to determine the pay scale.

Students maintain a debits/credits book to keep track of how many credits they earn each day through their jobs and other ways. They also earn debits in various ways. Students must pay rent for their desks and chairs each week! They didn’t like this idea very much but now they understand the connection to real life in that we all must pay for our housing.

At the end of each week students use their math skills to add up the tallies and subtract debits from credits. They then make a trip to the bank (Mrs. Hackett) and receive their classroom cash.

The students are eagerly awaiting the first day the classroom store opens! Stay tuned!!

20131004-154947.jpg

20131004-154953.jpg

One thought on “Classroom Economy

1. I once got so angry at my sister because she was watching TV and would not answer me. I got so mad I yelled at her. We said sorry to each other after.